Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Edale

Tideswell is a pretty Derbyshire village that I remember visiting as a young man when I studied at Sheffield nearby, a lifetime ago.
Alas today I felt no inclination to linger, feeling driven to reach Castleton and Edale, the start of my Pennine Way walk last year.
Tideswell nevertheless delayed me with a few discoveries such as the fossils in the floor tiles in the church. I suspect people often think me overly pious as I walk head bowed in churches, actually looking for fossils in the marble flooring tiles.


 I struck off along the Pennine Bridleway to Castleton where I lingered to gaze on the Peverill Castle, a place I’d visited many times decades before (and then free of charge as I remember!) then through Castleton and onto the last ascent of Stage 2 of my journey.



I finally reached the ridge above Castleton then down to Edale and the Ramblers Inn in Edale where I decided to celebrate walking over 750 kms (almost 500 miles) from Lands End with a half pint of ‘Grays Best.’





In Sheffield I was greeted by Pete Wildbore, a friend since our time together in Sheffield University Entertainments Committee and various excursions to France Spain and various curry houses.