Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bodmin

I left Gnome World far later than I expected having slept in through a very cold night. The terrain through to Bodmin was mostly open farm lane and pretty back lanes wide enough for a cart with the occasion pretty cottage or two.

The day being hot I began to get thirsty so knocked on the door of one pretty cottage to ask to fill my waterbottle. The woman who greeted me revealed she too was a long distance walker and helped slake my thirst we two helpings of strong blackcurrent cordial to help me on my way.

By early afternoon I'd still found no accommodation where I wanted it beyond Bodmin and decided I was going to have overnight in Bodmin, making it a short day. Even then there seemed to be no B&B accommodation there either according to the Tourist Info Office. I considered pushing on into the unknown but a call to Chris W revealed his visitors had gone and a spare bed was available.
  
Chris kindly offered to come and collect me by car since he lived on Bodmin Moor on the other side of Bodmin. His suggested rendezvous turned out to be a pub near a steam railway station and a steam engine was pulling out just as I arrived.
The track alongside the railway was in fact the Camel Trail, a popular cycle route.
Chris met me at the pub then drove me to his house on the moor when we spent the evening mostly discussing the world of Humanitarian Assistance over  pizza and cheap wine I bought en route. We also discussed where each of us had worked and compared who had had the most tropical deseases. I think I won. Strange thing for me to be competitive over when I come to think about it .

What doesn't kill us ....